Rear View Mirror
1989 Threemilestone St Eval Sprint Championship
Round One 23rd April 1989
First Blood To Roger

The resurgence of sprint-racing in Cornwall saw the advent of a new championship for the clubman run by the Newquay Auto Club with the assistance of the Threemilestone Service Station. The 5 round series took place on the 1.8 mile course at St Eval near Newquay and points were calculated on a class bogey system; derived from the average of the class record and the first 3 finishers within that class.

Round one took place on April 23rd with a full entry of 70 cars, ranging from 'street legal' road and rally cars to special saloons, sports, sports racing and single seater racing cars. Although a dry and sunny day, the temperature dropped drastically towards the end of the meeting; most of the final few runners being unable to match their earlier times. 

Best time of the day went to Combe Martin engineer Roger Jordan whose superb handling of his 3.5 litre Rover-engined Chevron B42 held at bay a serious challenge from veteran speed eventer Don Statton (Pilbeam MP45), and the widely experienced Mallock driver Mark Haynes.

The class structure for the challenge was as that for the ASWMC series and included 3 divisions for road cars. The first of these was won by the Imp of Rob Lane who finished 2 seconds ahead of Mark Lane's Metro, while in the 1300-1800cc section Roger Claydon's rally prepared Avenger maintained a healthy lead over the Metro Turbo of the then club president Dave Solomon. The large capacity road car group contained the biggest entry and also produced the biggest scrap for the lead. The Jarman brothers latest acquistion, a Darrian T9 fitted with a 2 litre Ford Pinto, was the front runner at half time with Chris at the wheel, over a second quicker than Dave Harris' pristine Chevette HSR. However on the second run the run Chevette driver went ahead temporarily, until Richard Jarman's final assault proved to be the best in the class.

Brothers featured again in the 1300cc special saloon car division, where Ron and Dave Datson were experiencing a number of minor problems with the BDH powered ex-John Meredith Maguire Skoda. When the car was finally sorted, it was Dave who gained the upper hand to take the award. Roy Bray dominated the large capacity special saloon section on the first runs with Ian Thomas some four seconds adrift in his faithful old Viva GT. Tony Jones' Escort developed an oil leak in the first half, but was offered a drive in Roy Bray's version and went on to a fine second place, almost catching the car's owner who spun off on his second attempt.

There were only three sports cars in the next division and of these the 3.5 litre Rover V8 Darrian T9 of Roger Hearn took nearly 6 seconds off the class record, originally held by Colin Hambly's V8 Dutton Phaeton, en route to a fine win. The clubmans and sports racers enjoyed a great battle with the Dino of Gary (Jesse) James and Mike Lee's Mallock holding first and second at half time. The situation remained much the same after the break until it was found that no time had been recorded by Mark Haynes. He was offered a re-run and was subsequently the last car of the day to race. His final fling was not only the class winner but he beat most of the single seaters in the process!

The Pilbeam MP45 of former south west speed champion Don Statton proved to be the car to beat in the 1600cc racing car class, although it wonderful to witness Dick Hambly giving the lovingly cared-for ex-Roy Salvadori 1959 F1 Cooper/Climax a Sunday afternoon airing. 

BTD     Roger Jordan 3.5 Chevron B42
Class Winnners
Rob Lane  1.0 Hillman Imp
Roger Claydon  1.6 Chrysler Avenger 
Richard Jarman  2.0 Darrian T9 Ford 
David Datson 1.3 Maguire Skoda BDH 
Roy Bray  2.0 Ford Escort Mk1 
Roger Hearn 3.5 Darrian T9 Rover           Rec  107.81s
Mark Haynes  1.7 Mallock U2 Mk23 Ford
Roy Sims  1.0 Royale RP33M Imp 
Don Statton  1.6 Pilbeam MP45 BDA 
<< Back to Home Page